Tuna, Braised Greens and Pinto Beans
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh tuna steak
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cups kale or escarole or other hearty greens chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic minced
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans rinsed and drained
- 2 cups tomatoes chopped
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- fresh lemon juice for garnish optional
- In a large skillet, heat oil on medium-high heat.
- Season tuna steaks with salt, add tuna to pan and cook until browned, about 2 minutes on each side for rare doneness. Cook further as desired, remove tuna from pan and set aside.
- Add greens and garlic to the same pan and stir well. Add half of the broth and cook until the greens start to wilt, about 5 minutes.
- While greens are cooking, mash 1/2 cup of beans and add the mashed beans, whole beans, tomatoes, remaining broth and red pepper flakes to the greens.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, until greens are tender, about 10 minutes and remove from heat.
- Garnish with lemon juice, if desired.
Thoroughly rinsing beans will reduce sodium by up to 40%.