Tangy Tomatillo Chicken
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons garlic minced
- 1/2 cup yellow onions diced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 6 tomatillos medium-sized, husks removed and chopped
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 lime cooked
- Season chicken with salt.
- Preheat Dutch oven or large deep-sided skillet to medium-high heat.
- Add olive oil; brown chicken on both sides.
- Remove chicken from pan; reduce heat to medium.
- Add garlic and onions; sauté for 3-5 minutes until translucent.
- Add chili powder, paprika, cumin and onion powder; cook until aromatic, 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomatillos, chicken stock and chicken.
- Reduce to a simmer; cover and cook until chicken is tender, about 45 minutes.
- Remove lid; reduce sauce in half over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with brown rice; garnish with cilantro and a lime wedge.