Sweet Potato, Quinoa and Bean Burgers
- 1/3 cup dry quinoa cooked according to package directions
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes halved lengthwise
- 1/2 cup red onion diced
- 3/4 cup quick cooking oats
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle chili powder
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce optional
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a sheet pan with foil or parchment paper for sweet potatoes. Prepare another platter or tray for chilling or freezing burgers, depending on whether they will be cooked immediately.
- Bake sweet potatoes cut-side down until soft when pierced with a knife, around 30-40 minutes, depending on size. Cool, scoop potatoes from skins and chop.
- In a large bowl, combine cooked quinoa, sweet potatoes, onions, oats, beans, cilantro, cumin, paprika, chipotle powder, hot sauce (if using), salt and pepper.
- Mix with your hands or a spoon until all ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Form patties using 1/2 cup of the mixture apiece and place on prepared platter or pan. Either chill until firm, about 10 minutes, or wrap in waxed paper and foil and freeze for future use.
- To cook, heat a large skillet on medium heat; add butter and rotate pan to coat the bottom of pan.
- Add burgers and cook until browned on one side, about 3-4 minutes.
- Flip and cook another 3-4 minutes.
- If burgers were frozen, thaw in refrigerator overnight before cooking.
Thoroughly rinsing beans will reduce sodium by up to 40%.