Sweet Potato Chili
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 cups sweet potatoes or yams peeled and diced, about 1 large
- 1 cups white onion diced
- 4 tablespoons garlic minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper diced (leave seeds if spicier flavor is desired)
- 1 1/2 cups red bell pepper diced, about 1 large
- 1/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 15-ounce cans low-sodium diced tomatoes including juice
- 1 15-ounce can low-sodium black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cilantro chopped (optional garnish)
- 2 jalapeño peppers fresh or pickled, thinly sliced (optional garnish)
- 1 fresh lime cut into wedges, (optional garnish)
- In a Dutch oven or deep skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Sauté sweet potato,onion, garlic, diced jalapeño pepper and red bell pepper for about 5 minutes.
- Add vinegar, basil, cumin, chili powder, black pepper and salt; mix well and continue cooking for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and beans; simmer for at least 30 minutes.
- Optional: Garnish with chopped cilantro, sliced jalapeño peppers and lime juice.