Sautéed Chicken, Caramelized Onions, Mushrooms & Spinach
- 3 tablespoons olive oil plus 1 teaspoon for chicken
- 1 cup yellow onions sliced
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast, butterflied into portions
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 10 ounces fresh spinach chopped
- 1 pint button mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil a large heavy-bottomed skillet on medium-high heat.
- Add onions to pan, cook until onions start to soften, about 1 minute.
- Season the chicken with thyme, garlic powder, salt, black pepper.
- Move onions to the side inside the pan, add remaining oil, add chicken to skillet and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Cook in two batches if desired.
- Remove browned chicken, set aside.
- Add mushrooms to skillet. Splash 1/4 cup water, stir around mushrooms, scraping the bottom of the skillet to remove sticking brown bits.
- Add chicken back to pan, cover, stir. Cook mushrooms until brown and tender, about 2 minutes. Stir periodically.
- Add Spinach, turn heat down to low, cook until spinach wilts.
- Turn off heat, sprinkle parmesan cheese, cover, let stand until cheese starts to melt, about 1-2 minutes.