Sausage and Greens Stuffed Winter Squash
- 2 acorn or confetti squash medium sized, halved, seeds removed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces Italian sausage hot, casings removed if not bulk sausage
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic minced
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach tightly packed
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly rub 1 teaspoon olive oil on flesh side and sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Place squash flesh-side down on a parchment or foil lined baking sheet pan.
- Bake until tender, about 30 - 45 minutes.Remove from oven; flip squash flesh-side up and set aside. Keep warm.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat remaining oil.
- Add sausage to pan and break into small pieces; cook until browned, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add spinach and garlic, mix. Wilt spinach, remove from heat.
- Mix in walnuts, Parmesan cheese.
- Divide mixture evenly into the centers of squash halves.