Penne, Italian Sausage & Kale
Servings: 6 servings
- 1/2 pound whole grain penne pasta dry
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound spicy Italian ground sausage
- 2 tablespoons garlic minced
- 1/2 cup yellow onion chopped
- 3/4 cup water divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 6 cups fresh baby kale chopped thin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Cook pasta according to package directions and drain.
- Preheat a large sauté pan on medium-high heat. Add olive oil and sausage to pan and cook through, breaking sausage into small pieces.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add kale, garlic and onions; cover and cook until kale is tender, about 12-15 minutes. Stir periodically.
- Add cooked pasta, butter, lemon juice, basil, salt and pepper, mix well. Cover and cook on low for about 5 minutes.