One-Pan Chicken with Savory Leeks
- 1 pound leeks
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast, boneless, skinless cooked, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano or marjoram or 2 teaspoons, dried
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup 2% milk or half and half for a richer flavor
- 1 cup soft French or Italian breadcrumbs or gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh thyme sprigs optional garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9x13-inch pan.
- Prepare leeks by trimming roots, removing outside layer (If necessary) and trimming the tops if they are wilted or dried out. Use the white and pale green parts.
- Cut leeks in half lengthwise. Slice in 1/4-inch pieces and place in a bowl of water. Stir well and let leeks sit for 10 minutes; dirt will settle to bottom of the bowl.
- Toss cooked chicken with half of the oregano and thyme and all the salt and black pepper. Let sit for 10 minutes; this can be done while leeks are soaking.
- Drain the leeks thoroughly and combine with seasoned chicken in the baking dish.
- Drizzle milk (or half and half, if using) over leeks and chicken and mix well. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven.
- In a small bowl, stir together breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, remaining thyme and oregano. Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture over leeks. Bake, uncovered, until leeks are tender and crumbs are golden brown, about 30 minutes more. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with additional fresh thyme (optional.)