Preparation Time: 30 Minutes
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
¼ cup rolled oats
⅓ cup dried fruit, (apples, apricots, craisins for example) chopped – optional
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
½ cup milk
1½ cups cooked oatmeal
1 Tbsp. butter or oil for frying
2 cups fresh fruit as topping if desired
Honey or syrup as topping if desired
1. Heat oven to 200° F. Combine flours, oats, dried fruit, baking powder, and salt in large mixing bowl.
2. In separate bowl, whisk together egg and milk; stir in the cooked oatmeal until just incorporated. Mix oatmeal with dry ingredients, stirring gently until just blended. Consistency should be thick batter; if needed, add a little more milk or whole-wheat flour, as needed.
3. Put large skillet or griddle over medium heat. Once hot, but not smoking, spoon out the batter to make desired size pancakes.
4. Cook until bubbles form on the top, about 2-3 minutes. Carefully flip over pancakes and cook until they’re browned on each side, 2-3 minutes more. Once cooked put them on a plate and hold in the oven while cooking remaining pancakes.
5. Serve with desired toppings.