Hearty Oven Beef Stew with Roasted Cauliflower Slices
Servings: 5 servings
- 1 1/2 pounds beef stew meat cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup yellow or white onions cut into chunks
- 1 cup potatoes peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 cup carrots peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/2 tablespoon tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
Roasted Cauliflower Slices
- 1 head cauliflower sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, pepper and paprika.
- Add stew meat to flour mixture and toss to coat all pieces.
- Heat large frying pan with oil on medium heat and brown meat about 2 minutes; add more oil if needed for browning.
- Transfer browned meat to baking dish, add onions, carrots, potatoes, Italian seasoning, broth, water and tomatoes and stir.
- Sprinkle remaining flour mixture from coating meat over everything and mix thoroughly.
- Cover and cook until meat is tender, about 1 3/4 to 2 hours, stirring once or twice.
- 30 minutes before serving stew, thoroughly wash, slice and spread cauliflower in a single layer on a parchment- or foil-lined sheet pan.
- Drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Place cauliflower on the top oven rack (rack above the beef stew) and cook until golden and tender, about 30 minutes.