French Toast with Macerated Strawberries
- 1/2 large baguette small bias (diagonal) sliced
- 5 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 handfuls strawberries washed, dried, stem removed, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
- squeeze of honey more if desired
- Mix sugar, honey and strawberries until incorporated. Let sit for at least 1/2 hour. The longer the better, so the juices of strawberries are pulled out by the sugar creating a consistency that will be shiny, and like a very light syrup. Set aside until toasts are done.
- Mix above thoroughly, and soak sliced bread in it until saturated. sprinkle a dash of cinnamon and cardamom over the soaked bread.
- Heat non-stick skillet to medium high, hot enough that it will sizzle the egg. Fry slices until golden brown, not runny inside, but tender