Lemon Fettuccine with Caramelized Sprouts
- 8 ounces whole wheat fettuccine uncooked
- 1 pound brussels sprouts trimmed and quartered
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/8 tablespoon salt
- 1/8 tablespoons black pepper
- 1/8 tablespoons chili flakes optional
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and reserve 1 cup of pasta water for the sauce.
- In a sauté pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil on medium-high heat.
- Add Brussels sprouts; cook 3-4 minutes until browned, caramel color looking, stirring occasionally
- Stir in garlic and cook for another 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer fettuccine and reserved pasta water to the sauté pan.
- Bring to a boil and reduce water by half.
- Remove from heat; stir in remaining olive oil, mint, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, pepper and chili flakes, if using.
- Toss gently to combine and serve immediately.