Crispy Salmon with Garlic Broccoli and Almonds
- 1 pound broccoli florets fresh or frozen (see note)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon 3 medium cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper divided
- 1 1/2 pounds salmon fillets about 1-inch thick, skin on
- 1/3 cup chopped almonds toasted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a sheet pan with foil or parchment paper.
- Cut broccoli florets in bite-sized pieces and place on sheet pan. Toss florets with olive oil, garlic and half of the salt and pepper. Roast broccoli until tender with a slight crunch, about 15 minutes. See directions for frozen broccoli below.
- While broccoli is cooking, sprinkle the bottom of a cold heavy-bottomed non-stick skillet evenly with half of the remaining salt and pepper in. Place fillets, skin side down, in skillet and sprinkle tops of fillets with remaining salt and pepper.
- Heat skillet on medium-high heat and cook fillets without moving them until fat begins to render, skin begins to brown and get crispy, and the bottom ¼-inch of fillets turns opaque, about 6-8 minutes.
- While salmon is cooking, toast chopped almonds in a dry skillet on medium heat, stirring periodically, until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Using tongs and a thin spatula, flip fillets and continue to cook without moving them until centers are still translucent when checked with the tip of a paring knife. Centers should reach 125 degrees for medium-rare, about 5 to 8 minutes longer.
- Plate fillets, skin side up, on top of cooked broccoli. Garnish with toasted almonds.