Creamy Macaroni & Cheese
- 1 1/2 pounds butternut squash fresh or frozen (thawed if previously frozen)
- 12 ounces whole wheat macaroni
- 1/2 cup pasta water see directions below
- 6 ounces Gruyere cheese shredded
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 3/4 cup 2% milk or whole is fine
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- If using fresh squash, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Lay face down on pan and roast until tender, about 35-45 minutes. Cool and remove squash from skin.
- In a large kettle, cook pasta according to package directions, until almost tender. Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup of pasta water, and set aside.
- Using the same kettle, add squash and mash it, as needed. Add reserved pasta water, cheeses, milk and pepper and mix until smooth.
- Add cooked pasta to the pot with squash mixture and gently stir until evenly distributed.
- Warm mixture on stovetop over medium heat until heated through.