Chicken with Italian Sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 cup yellow onions diced
- 1 1/2 cups red bell pepper diced
- 2 cups no salt added crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Preheat pan to medium-high heat; add olive oil and chicken.
- Brown chicken on both sides; remove and set aside.
- On medium heat add garlic, onion and peppers to pan; cook until softened and lightly browned.
- Deglaze pan with chicken broth.
- Add crushed tomatoes, dried oregano and basil; bring to a light simmer.
- Add chicken; cover and simmer until chicken is tender, about 35-45 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh herbs, basil, parsley, etc.