Chicken Vegetable Primavera
- 8 ounces dry whole wheat pasta cooked according to package directions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and black pepper divided
- 3 tablespoons garlic minced
- 4 cups seasonal vegetables chopped or sliced (tomatoes, zucchini, asparagus, etc.)
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh basil chopped, tightly packed
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- In a large sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Season chicken with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Add chicken to pan and cook until lightly golden brown on all sides, but not cooked through, about 4 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and add garlic, and hard vegetables. Cook until garlic is aromatic, about 1 minute, stirring continuously.
- Once hard vegetables are 3/4 cooked through, add remaining vegetables and cook until they are tender, about 2-4 minutes, stirring periodically.
- Add stock and half and half. Bring to a simmer and reduce liquid by one fourth, about 5 minutes, stirring periodically.
- Add cooked pasta and tomatoes and heat through.
- Add lemon juice, basil, remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper and gently mix before serving.