Chicken Puttanesca Pasta
- 8 ounces uncooked pasta long noodles preferred – spaghetti, fettuccini, or linguine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast or chicken cut of choice
- 1/4 teaspoon each kosher salt & black pepper
- 1 cup red onion diced
- 2 tablespoons garlic minced
- 1 cup red bell pepper diced
- 1 teaspoon Italian herbs
- 1 – 14.5 ounce can - crushed tomatoes petite diced will work
- 2 pinches red chili flakes or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon capers or more to taste
- 3 tablespoons kalamata olives sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley or to taste, roughly chopped
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and set aside. This can be done in advance or when the chicken and sauce is ready.
- Season chicken with salt and black pepper. Heat a large heavy-bottomed pot on medium-high heat; add oil or ghee and seasoned chicken. Cook until one side of the chicken starts to brown, about 2 minutes.
- Flip chicken and add onions. Stir and continue cooking until onions start to soften, about 1 minute.
- Add garlic, red bell pepper and Italian herbs. Stir. Continue cooking until peppers start to become tender, about 2 minutes. Deglaze pan as needed with a few tablespoons of water.
- Add crushed tomatoes and stir well. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes or until chicken easily separates.
- Stir in capers and olives and remove from heat.
- Top pasta with sauce and chicken and garnish with parsley.