Chicken Puttanesca Pasta
- 8 ounces uncooked pasta of choice long noodles preferred– spaghetti, fettuccini, linguine
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast or chicken cut of choice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt & black pepper
- 1 cup red onion diced
- 2 tablespoons garlic minced
- 1 cup red bell pepper diced
- 1 teaspoon Italian herbs
- 1 – 14.5 ounce can - crushed tomatoes petite diced will work
- 2 pinches red chili flakes or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon capers or more to taste
- 3 tablespoons kalamata olives sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley or to taste, roughly chopped
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and set aside. This can be done in advance or when the chicken and sauce is ready.
- Season chicken with salt and black pepper. In a large heavy bottom pot on medium-high heat, add oil or ghee, add seasoned chicken and cook until one side of the chicken starts to brown, about 2 minutes.
- Flip chicken over, then add onions. Stir, continue cooking until onions start to soften, about 1 minute.
- Add garlic, red bell pepper, and Italian herbs. Stir. Continue cooking until peppers start to become tender, about 2 minutes. Deglaze pan as needed with a few tablespoons of water.
- Add crushed tomatoes, stir well. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes or until chicken easily separates.
- Stir in capers and olives, remove from heat.
- Top pasta with sauce and chicken, and parsley.
Calories: 508kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 45g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 109mg | Sodium: 645mg | Potassium: 1007mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1704IU | Vitamin C: 68mg | Calcium: 77mg | Iron: 2mg