- 2 1/4 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth or water
- 1 3/4 cups dry green lentils rinsed
- 1 cup yellow onion chopped small
- 1 1/2 cups carrots thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes drained
- 1/2 cup green pepper finely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon dried parsely leaf
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 pound chicken breast cooked, diced (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a 13x9x2-inch baking dish, combine all ingredients except cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 75-90 minutes or until lentils are tender. These can be made in advance.
- Stir, then sprinkle cheese on top.
- Bake, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- This can be portioned in single-serving containers for easy grab-and-go lunches.