Butternut Squash & Wild Rice Pilaf
- 2 cups butternut squash peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt divided
- 1/2 cup yellow onion diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper diced
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped, divided
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a sheet pan with foil or parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine squash, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, cumin, cinnamon, pepper and half of the salt.Spread seasoned squash on sheet pan and roast until slightly softened and browned, about 20 minutes; set aside.
- Place remaining olive oil and onions in a medium saucepan on medium heat and sauté until onions are translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add bell pepper, rice, water or broth and remaining salt; bring to a boil.Reduce to a simmer; cover and cook until rice is tender, about 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add squash and half of the parsley to the rice. Mix gently and garnish with remaining parsley before serving.