Beef and Okra in Tomato Sauce
- 16 ounces chuck roast cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion diced
- 2 tablespoons garlic minced
- 1 pound okra frozen or fresh
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper `
- 2 cups ripe tomatoes chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Season beef with salt and pepper.
- In a large heavy-bottomed sauce pan, heat olive oil on medium heat.
- Add beef and brown, stirring occasionally, about 3-4 minutes.
- While beef is browning, wash and drain okra, if using fresh; cut into 1/4 inch slices.
- Add onions and garlic to pan and sauté until the onions are translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add green peppers and tomatoes; sauté for a 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, lemon juice and water; stir until tomato paste is incorporated.
- Add sprig of thyme and bring mixture to a simmer; stir in okra.
- Continue simmering on low heat for about 1 1/2 hours or until beef is tender.
- Remove thyme sprig and serve hot with brown rice.