Apple Delicata Squash Crisp
Servings: 12 servings
- 6 Granny Smith apples peeled, cored and chopped
- 3 cups delicata squash seeds removed, cooked, skins removed, mashed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice or equal parts ground nutmeg, ginger and cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar or an equal amount of honey or maple syrup
- 1 cup whole oats
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 baking pan.
- Mix apples, squash, lemon juice, lemon zest, cinnamon, pumpkin spice and vanilla in a bowl; spread mixture evenly in pan.
- Mix butter, flour, brown sugar and oats until crumbly; spread over apple mixture.
- Bake until top is golden brown and sides are bubbling, about 30-45 minutes.
- Using a fork, check apples for tenderness.
- Remove from oven and cool to room temperature.
*other winter squash may be used, like butternut, acorn, etc.