Apple Cinnamon Walnut Scones
Servings: 12 scones
- 1 cup apples cored, and large dice
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon ground divided in half
- 2 cups whole wheat flour or gluten-free**
- 1/2 teaspoon salt kosher or sea salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup butter or olive oil, plus 1 T for cooking apples
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup walnuts coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven at 400 degrees.In a small skillet, on medium heat, add butter/oil then cook apples. Add half cinnamon, blend well. Cook until apples are tender, about 5-8 minutes. Then set aside.
- Combine remaining cinnamon with flour, salt, and baking powder.*If using butter add the butter to dry mix and combine via food processor or by hand until well incorporated., The mixture will be grainy. Then add the remaining ingredients.
- If using oil, add oil, egg, milk, walnuts, and vanilla and gently mix until just incorporated. Batter will be thick and sticky, Adjust flour as needed.
- Drop batter onto parchment lined or a silicone lined sheet pan and back 20-25 minutes until golden and firm. If using gluten-free flour, time may need to be adjusted.
- Remove from oven, cool on wire rack.